Monday, February 9, 2009

Someone in my Roots

33 years ago my scholarship for college, was terminated because I did not achieve an achievable grade point average. My childhood dream of being a veterinarian was over. After working a couple of years in an Animal Hospital, as a precursor to my future, it became apparent that being allergic to one's patients would be an unhealthy way to make a living. Hindsight is full of shoulda's, coulda's but didja's? The plain fact was that I was 18 and free to do whatever I wanted, if I could pay for it, like school for example. But What? I had no money, Zip Zero Nada. Natural Solution, Get a Job! Figure it out as I go.

"The List" grows long over time with things that are easier said than done. Finding a successful means to provide for oneself and hopefully/ possibly others is (next to staying alive), high on "The List."

These past 33 years of my life have proven that to me.

Anyhow, at that time, I went applying. A Factory Owner politely wished me good luck, A Restaurant Owner paid me $7 to wash dishes for the day then politely wished me good luck. There were many who politely wished me good luck. Then into an office building holding a newspaper with an ad circled that offered Travel, Education, Opportunity, I found Good Luck.

For the next 2 years Macmillan Publishing paid me, per confirmed sale, to promote The Collier Home Learning Center in a 400 mile radius territory of Chicago. It was great selling Encyclopedias Door to Door, but mostly it was getting reactions to an Educational Program, like "Not Interested", "Can't afford it" or "We need to think it over".

A Job that had Fresh air, Exercise, Meals with Strangers, an occasional arrest for soliciting without a permit in the Municipality, which was also seen by the Judiciary as Restriction of Interstate Commerce and Free Enterprise. Stu my Crew Manager would pay the $50-$100 bail, get reimbursed later and we would not go back to that town again, someone else would.

It was a formative time, where Positive Mental Attitude existed on the walls, the coffee tables, in the Regional Manager Bob's daily pep talk,"Enthusiasm Sells" "To be Enthusiastic, Act Enthusiastic" "Persist and You Will Succeed" These ideas do work when you do.

Then there are the names forever fondly etched in my psyche, W.Clement Stone, Napoleon Hill, Zig Ziglar, Og Mandino, and Dale Carnegie who turned up this morning on You Tube, A Friendly Reminder from Someone in my Roots.

As Usual,


Enjoy,


Then Pass It Along,


Peter Lott Heppner



This is worth a Replay


More From my Formative Years





Replay



Direction of Mind Power



Replay



No comments: