Friday, July 17, 2009

Chronically Befuddled

Mornin'

A friend commented,"just does not understand some people!"

Befuddlement is my chronic experience so I concur.

But! I keep trying, why? I don't know. Maybe it's my Compulsive Obsessive Curiosity Disorder. Maybe one moment I'll learn and pass it along, but it does trigger a memory from my grandmothers kitchen where in addition to the plaque that said "Sit long,Talk much" there was a smaller Northwoods piece entitled The Fisherman's Tale. It read:
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
All of the people some of the time
but not all of the people all of the time!"

Many a really Big Fish got away up there.

Life was Farmland near Forest next to Fields & Streams that connected Ponds and Lakes.
There were cattle in clover, deer in the corn, dew on the raspberries. Pike smelled different from Bluegill from Catfish.
Raccoons loved your crawdad bait. Harvest Moons were bright. Aurora Borealis was God's light show. Bear liked the City dump. A Horse was a powerful friend that made short work of a carrot or an apple.

Kids drove tractors all day long row after row after row. Both genders baled hay, helped each other love life. Civilty was the "hello wave" going in the opposite direction. The locusts dueted with crickets. At night the frogs and toads exchanged harmonies. Celebration was everywhere.
It has carried me when others tried. My sister Candace described "then" as an "Emotional Savings Account" from which she dips into from time to time. For some lucky reason there is always something there to withdraw whenever I need it.

Some people I will never understand. So much history, so little time.

Lotsa Love,

Peter



2 comments:

EMH said...

Pete - For a minute there, I could feel I was in the U.P.

Peter Lott Heppner said...

Thanx glad you could