Monday, March 1, 2010

Brain Changer



Evenin'

This link IS to a great Listen

The Teen Brain: It's Just Not Grown Up Yet : NPR

IT brought back memories of this powerless uncle (Me)  a frustrated mother (my sister Candace), appealing for advice from someone with child rearing experience (Our Mother),

The child in question  was 14 years old then, she is now a mother of two great kids. Making me a grand powerless Uncle 14 years later. Anyhow the tears were flowing mixed with flashbacks of another 14 year old girl, who threw a party that caused a traffic jam that I had nothing to do with but enjoyed just as much. It had WOW factor all over it, the family back yard was full of folks from Crescent Park, Kennedy Park, Ridge Park & PBR Pounders, Herb was in abundance, it's essence wafting like an early fog.  She Did GREAT!!!  The music from the family stereo suddenly silenced and an irate figure, attempted an authoritive  scream of "EVERYONE OUT"  Next to me someone asked "Who the Fuck is that?" "My Dad" I calmly replied as I said goodbye to my Chilly PBR. ( Bummer) is what I thought (Now What?)

Folks wished everyone well and filed out comfortably  like a concert had just ended.The Traffic Jam in front on Seeley thinned and in an hour there was another End of Summer Evening on that Maple Tree Lined Street.

18 years later the girl is crying to her mother,  about her 14 year old daughter. "I don't know what to do!!!" (neither did I.) Then turning, in the vestibule of the WOW party site, with a slight inhale to speak, Mom says, "Dear, the only thing a parent can wish on their children is for them to have children."

Made sense to me didn't bring solace to my sis, but it did stop the sobbing.(powerless)

The NPR Link for me compiles all this together with certitude.

We were Teen agers too, And now we have them, and they will have some as well During  growth hopefully we will not categorize, compartmentalize, constrain change.

It is part of how our Brains develop.

2 comments:

Alice McMahon said...

Was I at that party? :) My kids are more better than we were - I remember a few wild nights in a rockin' basement. You were there, Candace was there, etc etc. Most of us survived to suffer the consequences of parenthood. Nice post!

Peter Lott Heppner said...

Thanx, The crowd was huge, you might have been, if you were you would remember a traffic jam at 104th & Seeley,then the party ended by my Dad screaming "Everyone Out"